Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!!!

We've had such a fantastic Easter this year! I loved that General Conference was on the same weekend, what better way to Celebrate the Resurrection than by listening to the inspired words of our modern-day prophet and apostles? I always love conference weekend, it's always just what I need to lift my spirits. I am just so grateful for this church.
Earlier this week I did a little basket make-over using this tutorial. I wish I had taken a "before" photo, because I think the transformation was awesome. You'll just have to take my word for it. In any case, this is what I ended up with:

That was before the Easter Bunny came. Afterward it looked more like this:

Allen and I both went to the store the night before Easter and we both bought candy to put in the basket and surprise the other. We were definitely surprised to find double the candy! It worked out though because we went to different stores and between the two of us we were able to get all our favorites. Allen really went the extra mile though. He got up early Sunday morning to hide these around the house.

The best surprise came when I opened them to reveal little love notes in each one. What a sweet husband!


For breakfast I made these little lovies:

They're called Easter rolls because while they're baking the marshmallow in the middle melts. When you bite into them they are empty just like the tomb was on Easter morning. A little cheesy I know, but I kinda liked it and Allen is the marshmallow king so I figured he would like them. If you would like to try them, I found the recipe here


Later we had a lovely Easter dinner of ham, scalloped potatoes, rolls, fruit salad, and asparagus with homemade hollandaise sauce. Yummy!

Allen being such a man and carving the ham.

For dessert I made this little piece of heaven:

It's called Pavlova and is to-die-for. Apparently it is a dish from New Zealand and is named after the ballerina Anna Pavlova because it is so light and graceful. It has a meringue base, filled with hand-whipped cream, and topped with berries (raspberries in this case). I had never even heard of it before but let me tell you, I WILL be making this again. I'd like to experiment with different fruit or berries on top. Maybe even use a chocolate mousse instead of cream . . . ooh, I should definitely try that. Anyway, if you would like to try this exquisite dessert, this is the recipe I used. I highly recommend it.
Oh, and P.S.- Yes, Allen did write that last entry but I decided to leave it because hey, who am I to argue with a statement so true? And humble to boot!

3 comments:

McClendon said...

My goodness. How long did it take to make all this. For me, it would have taken all day to make any one of these things and then it would have failed. Beautiful pictures.

McClendon said...

Should be a question mark after the 'How long' sentence. Not yet fully awake and functional. Conference was, indeed, wonderful and Easter was blessed.

The Gibbs said...

wow all that food is making me hungry! jealous!