Monday, August 27, 2012

Lyla's Story - Part 2

Read Part 1 of the story here

The next few months were difficult and confusing as I had unnaturally long cycles, or no cycles at all, and continued to get what is known in the infertility world as a BFN (Big Fat Negative).  Any infertility survivor can tell you just how devastating those are.  Month after month, you can't help but hope.  Month after month your heart is broken a little more.  

They seemed to catch me almost off guard.  I would go into it telling myself to be realistic, at times even expecting a negative.  Most times I wouldn't even tell Allen I was testing.  I figured if it was just going to be another disappointing result there was no sense in both of us feeling the disappointment.  I could even look at the test, see the result, throw it away and go on with my day convincing myself I handled it well.  But it bothered me.  It would sit in the back of my mind and poison my mood.  Eventually I would snap one too many times and Allen would ask in exasperation what was wrong with me.  That's when I would burst into tears and through my sobs he would decipher exactly what had happened.

I had a very strong emotional response to everything.  Looking back I'm surprised by just how devastated I was so soon.  It had been less than 6 months and we didn't even have any kind of diagnosis yet.  I remember one night we made a late night trip to the grocery store.  We only needed a few things and as we made our way through the store we started to goof off.  I don't remember the game, but I remember laughing and joking as we went up and down the aisles.  Then we got to the baby aisle.  Suddenly, we were surrounded by diapers, formula, bottles, and baby food.  I felt like I had been punched in the gut.  My laughter stopped abruptly and I speed walked down the aisle as fast as I could with tears burning my eyes.

After about 4 or 5 months of these mixed signals from my body, I decided to go see the doctor.  I was a little nervous, but also excited to have an answer.  Once I knew what was going on, we could create a game plan.  We could be proactive and DO something.  This was what I needed.  As I explained to the doctor what was going on, a look of concern spread across her face.  I took this as a good sign because it meant she was taking me seriously and we could really get down to business.  She decided to do an ultrasound.  It made me a little sad that my first ultrasound didn't include a tiny heartbeat, but I went along.

Soon the doctor was inspecting a fuzzy black and white screen intently.  "Ok," she said, "these are your ovaries, see how they are all spotted?"  
"Yes," I responed.
"Those are small cysts.  They aren't harmful to you, it just means that your ovaries are poly-cystic.  A normal ovary would be smooth, but can you see how yours look like chocolate-chip cookies?"
"Uh-huh . . ."
"So there you go, now we know.  It's not a big deal, I know so many women who have gotten pregnant with poly-cystic ovaries.  Go ahead and get dressed and we'll talk about what we can do."

When I went into her office she nonchalantly repeated that it wasn't a big deal, she knew lots of women who were poly-cystic, and that she could put me on a medication called clomid, but that maybe I wanted to think about it because it could be pretty rough on my body.  I told her I would think about it, discuss it with my husband, and get back to her.  She told me she would just go ahead and write the prescription and I could fill it if I wanted or not.  If I did fill it, I should call to let her know, but if not just throw it out.  I left not really sure what to think.

What this doctor did not explain to me, and what I would not realize for another year and a half, was that I had just been diagnosed with PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome).  A nasty little condition which can cause a myriad of troublesome symptoms including weight gain, acne, and, oh yeah, infertility.  Excuse me doctor, but that is a big deal.  That is a big effing deal.


1 comment:

Theresa said...

So sorry to hear you are dealing with all this. I think it is time we came out of our blog stalking hiding places :)